Saturday, January 30, 2010

Computer Science, 106A

Coding is rather hilarious. For some reason, I enjoy listening to music while I do it. It's really wonderful when things flow nicely, and you solve your problems and find your little syntax errors that have been killing your program.

What sucks is when something goes wrong and you simply cannot find the problem. Or, rather, your program isn't experiencing bugs, but instead is missing some component that will make it work.

The class CS106A is intended to be doable for anyone who has never coded in anything. It revolves around Java, a language I've never used before.  Similar to C++, something I did years ago in the summer before high school, it's proving to be an interesting vocabulary to learn. (I'm also happy to have taught myself some HTML and CSS, but that's irrelevant to this blog post.)

In any case, our current assignment is to recreate the game Breakout. I've got the bricks colored and showing up on the screen, the paddle moving and following the mouse around, and even the ball making an appearance and move down the screen toward the paddle.

Unfortunately, my dear little ball has gotten very personally attached to the bottom window and refuses to budge from its comfortable position:


Yes, such is life. Hopefully sometime tonight I can convince it to form lasting relationships with the other three walls as well.

1 comment: