Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Craft Commencement

So, I launched this blog with the initial goal of using it to chronicle my crafts and other artistic endeavors, which included such shindigs as comics, paintings, and doodles.

Alas for my mild case of self-diagnosed AHD, I have so far not had such luck in updating this properly with my artwork.

Therefore, I now pronounce the commencement of my arts and crafts blog at last with my first craft entry!

Today: The Royal Jelly Earrings


If you've never heard of Royal Jelly, take a moment to familiarize yourself through this Wikipedia article. I'll add a few photos of the actual boxes and bottles I had myself when I get a chance to take them.

I was given about four bottles of these royal jelly capsules, and each bottle came in a dainty, shiny gold box. I was planning on throwing the cardboard boxes into the recycling (yes, recycling) when I thought, I really like these boxes; do I really have to throw them out?

Well, I didn't end up throwing them out. Instead, I started cutting them, watching the design of the writing and images along the boxes and working on the fly. It was very improvised work; I didn't have an end-design in mind, but I liked the way straight lines seemed to make themselves easily likeable with the writing on the box.

Instead of dangling them off those fish-hook earrings, I pulled out a pair of black studs I'd been keeping in my little box of studs. I ended up using a jump ring to attach the smaller square to the bigger, and because it seemed lonely I added the other two rings on top, more for decoration than any architectural support.

I've actually had a lot of fun wearing these a few times; because I bike around my school campus all the time, it's fun to feel your earrings flap around (though I have to admit, it gets a little worrisome when you don't think you've made your earrings structurally sound).


No comments:

Post a Comment