Sunday, February 7, 2010

The Food That Was Better

One of the things you really miss when living in a dorm is amazing food. Not to say our food is inedible (though at times we joke that it is so, not without reason), but these other things are far more incredible.

My breakfast for the few days I was in Tokyo consisted of this every morning, bought from the little shop across from our hotel:


Where would I ever be able to buy something so simple yet so satisfying here?
Let's not even get started on the pastries.


Ah, Italy. How I miss your delicacies and Grazis.

To be fair, though, our school did recently start offering some tasty fruit tarts, though the price may seem a tad bit absurd. Perhaps not, considering it's paid through my meal plan, since the maximum number of meals is too many for 99% of the student population. I'm not quite sure if anyone even has the time to eat three times a day; most likely, you will have class through breakfast or lunch. That was my case, anyway, and I don't mean to generalize too much.

Did I also mention that our Asian-themed dining hall only serves the best food at lunchtime, when I am least available? It's rather unfortunate, as I do thoroughly enjoy the cha shao bao and the fried rice, as well as the daily rotating side dish. Broccoli is also a guarantee, cooked not too well-done, not too raw, and usually mixed with some bok choi and always with that lovely sauce. I think I'll get a picture of lunch and post it sometime.

So yes, we do have some good lunch meals. Still, I will have to wait to taste a fresh bowl of ramen again.

2 comments: